5 Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Burglar Alarm System
Statistics show that New York City area homes and apartments lacking the protection of a burglar alarm system are six times more likely to be robbed than dwellings without some sort of intruder alarm system protecting doors, windows and other access points. According to FBI reports, a home burglary happens every 15 seconds in the U.S., with the majority of these burglaries occurring on private property.
In addition to installing a high-quality burglar alarm system, there are several other actions you can take to help prevent your residence from unwanted intrusions resulting in theft.
Before purchasing an alarm system, consider the following advice:
- Keep shrubbery clipped and ornamental plants trimmed enough so that burglars cannot hide behind them.
- Even if you are only running a short errand, make sure windows and doors are locked. You never know who could be watching your home from a distance, waiting for you to leave before they burst into your home
- Doors with peepholes allow you to see who is knocking at the door before opening it. Voices can be disguised but appearances are not so easily disguised.
- Never place notes on your door telling an anyone who comes to the door that you are not at home and will return at a certain time
- Install extra locks on sliding glass doors.
- Light timers turn on indoor and outdoor lights when you are not at home, making would-be burglars think that someone is at home
- Contact your home or apartment insurance company to find out if the company offers discounts for buying burglar alarm systems
- Check with the Better Business Bureau to ensure professional security business in which you are interested such as Vertex Security has an A+ rating
- Arrange to have technicians working for the company to inspect your home and help you decide what kind of security system would best suit your needs.
- Don't be afraid to ask the company's representative whether their business is in compliance with the National Code of Ethics and also if it employs certified specialists who have undergone drug screenings and background checks.
- Ask for a quote regarding cost of the burglar alarm system, installation fees and any other expenditures associated with the purchase of the system.
A reputable home security company like Vertex Security will take the time to explain the various types of theft prevention systems to you, describe their benefits, if there is any maintenance involved and how a good, 24-hour alarm system prevents burglars from targeting your residence, stealing your property and stripping you of your sense of security.
Please contact us for quotation or support. Our security consultants will help you design the right security solution.